Saturday, December 22, 2007

Cabbage pappu

All my life i have grown up eating different kinds of daal. Daal is our staple food at home. I was surprised when folks at my in-laws side said that they never had cabbage pappu.

Here is the recipe for it.

1. Cut cabbage into small peices and pressure cook them. I put them along with rice and daal usually while lunch preperation.

2. Once cabbage is cooked, mash well.

3. Take ghee in a pan, add mustard seeds, jeera, hing. Once they sputter add turmeric powder and green chillies paste

4. Add the mashed cabbage now.

5. After a min add cooked Toor daal and mix well.

6. Add salt to taste and remove from heat now.

Instead of green chillies you can add chillie powder also to give a dry taste. Usually if curry is fresh based, i made daal which should taste dry or vice versa. This gives a variety in the meal.

Also the more ghee you add more creamy your daal will be. I add more ghee usually when I call guests home.

No comments: